Lots of good stuff from media day yesterday, especially with Hail to the Orange, Eleven Warriors, and Bucky’s 5th Quarter all attending. Here are some highlights from around the internets:
- Zook Smash! the press conference! — Hail to the Orange — HTTO runs through the highlights of Illini coach Ron Zook’s press conference, including Zook revealing his way of punishing players for minor infractions: the stair master. Mike Barwis sees your stair master, and raises you 10 minutes in the wolf pit.
- Blog: Big Ten Kickoff in Chicago — GopherSports.com — Minnesota’s official site has been providing solid live-blog updates for those curious about the Golden Gophers.
- Mark Dantonio has lofty goals for Michigan State: Big Ten title, BCS bowl — Chicago Tribune — Dantonio talk about playing up for big games, and clearly is familiar with Michigan State’s history: “I think it’s very, very important to recognize that we’ve been in that situation before at times, the Spartans raised up a bit, and we fell a little bit flat,” Dantonio said. “We’ve won very, very few games just going away. We’ve been involved in a lot of close games.”
- Big Ten Media Days: Dantonio in Bulletpoints — The Only Colors — More Dantonio, this time focusing on the quarterback competition, throwing a few new wrinkles into the offense, and recruiting.
- Pat Fitzgerald says returning linemen hold key for Northwestern football — Chicago Tribune — Something I hadn’t noticed until now: Northwestern doesn’t play Ohio State or Michigan this season. Could they possibly be a dark horse for the Big Ten title after winning nine games last year? Crazy.
- Saturation — Eleven Warriors — Jason of 11W, who attended the media day festivities, gives a wrap-up of the day as a whole, and also summarizes Jim Tressel’s remarks, both during the official conference and in the hall afterward.
- Penn State considered benching Anthony Morelli for Darryl Clark? Now they tell us … — Dr. Saturday — “I thought it would discourage the kid that we were using,” Paterno said of Morelli. … “I thought the kid we were using had the potential to be a good quarterback. I blew that one.” No kidding, JoePa. Also, that picture never gets old.
- Michigan’s Rich Rodriguez, Wisconsin’s Bret Bielema fall flat at the podium — The Patriot-News — This is “um, what?” material to say the least. Some Penn State homer takes a couple innocuous quotes from RichRod and Bielema and uses them as an excuse to make two horrible jokes himself. How’s that chip on your shoulder, David? Still there? Bummer.
- Big Ten Media Days: Day 1 — Bucky’s 5th Quarter — Wisconsin blog provides a live-blog of yesterday’s events, and also gives a team-by-team rundown afterwards.