- Rich Rodriguez craves a better atmosphere at Michigan Stadium — AnnArbor.com — Key quote: “But in the works are things like making “the band and the students and some music” more a part of the gameday experience.” The “some music” part is (understandably) causing some consternation among Michigan faithful worried Rodriguez will push for piped-in music during games. I say just mic up the band (I’m pretty sure Penn State does this, having been to Happy Valley and wondered how the hell the band was so loud) and put more focus on doing away with the “key play” crap and having students actually yell on third and fourth down. It’s at least nice to see RichRod pushing for a louder, tougher Michigan Stadium crowd … I’m sick of going to road games and having my mind blown by just how quiet our home fans are.
- Terry Talbott high on U-M after visit — The Wolverine — Michigan climbs into the top three for the three-star DT prospect after a solid visit. At this point, I’ll applaud the commitment of any living being weighing over 260 pounds who plays defense — Talbott more than qualifies, making this very good news.
- Ask Jamie: What’s left for the Wolverines? — Rivals.com — Rivals.com analyst Jamie Newberg devotes most of his mailbag to Michigan’s recruiting class. More praise for Devin Gardner, some interesting insight into Seantrel Henderson’s recruitment (Newberg thinks Minnesota is the team to beat, which would shock me), and more calls for patience from Wolverine fans still freaking out about all the three stars. Seriously, chill.
- ’09 Michigan Season Tickets Arrive — MVictors — Greg has his tickets, and puts up photos for those who are interested. Unfortunately, one depicts the student section waving those @#&$ keys, which is argh and whatnot. Also of note: Maize-Outs this year are for the Notre Dame and Penn State games.
- Marcus Rush to pull the trigger for Michigan? — Bleacher Report — Speculation abound that three-star DE Marcus Rush will commit to Michigan after this quote from his high school coach was published in a local newspaper:
“The one thing he’s got is every day in practice, he’s going against a kid who’s going to sign with Michigan, and the other (defensive tackle) is only a junior who already has been offered by N.C. State,” Rodenberg said. The senior is Marcus Rush, the junior is Jesse Hayes. “Marcus hasn’t committed to Michigan,” Rodenberg said. “He’s either going to commit to Michigan, Virginia or Michigan State.”
This certainly bodes well for Michigan, although it sounds like Rodenberg was merely saying his player was going against a Michigan-caliber player, and Rush is still deciding. Just my interpretation.
- Lloyd Carr expecting a ‘very successful season’ for the University of Michigan football team — AnnArbor.com — Again, these headlines don’t need to contain the entire story, guys.
- Justin Boren says he’s not focusing on Michigan game — Detroit News — He’s far too busy focusing on this enormous plate of hot wings. Now can everyone please stop asking him questions so he can eat in peace?
- Embracing the cross-country move … freshman Darius Morris — MGoBlue — Part II of the official site’s profiles of the Wolverines’ incoming freshmen. Mostly fluff, but interesting fluff.
- Former University of Michigan basketball captain David Merritt keeping busy with business venture — AnnArbor.com — Ok, this headline stuff is getting out of hand. The business venture is urban apparel, it launches Sept. 4 at the Michigan League, and Merritt is hyping up the release with YouTube videos. I’m surprised they didn’t cram all that into the headline too, and just did away with the rest of the article.